The Council of Construction Associations (COCA) represents most of British Columbia’s construction associations (20 in all) and acts on behalf of the construction industry in WorkSafeBC matters. COCA works to present a united front and a systematic approach to WorkSafeBC issues. COCA initiates and responds to legislative, regulatory, policy and practice issues within the workers’ compensation system in BC. COCA also assists individual contractors with their WorkSafeBC concerns.
A summary of key 2019 activities /issues follows:
Q1 – January to March
- January 17th, met with Chris Gardner, Clyde Scollan, Dave Earl, Jack Davidson and Mike McKenna to discuss construction related matters.
- January 16th – 18th worked with Trevor Alexander in regards to CEO succession.
- January 24th, attended the Employer’s Forum.
- January 29th, held a retirement appreciation event for Diana Miles, CEO WorkSafeBC at the Marriott Hotel in Vancouver .
- February 5th COCA submitted written comment on: WorkSafeBC Proposed Policy- Merits and Justice.
- February 6th, provided a special briefing on Asbestos to Neil Moody, CEO BC Homebuilders.
- February 6th, met via conference call with Chris Atchison, Chris Gardner, Tim McEwan, Clyde Scollan, and Kelly Scott to discuss CBA agreements.
- February 6th, provided Chris Atchison feedback on COCA’s governance structure.
- February 6th, met with Al Johnson, VP WorkSafeBC to discuss CEO succession.
- February 13th, Cheryl attended the ICBA CEO’s breakfast.
- February 14th, met with Don Schouten,
Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices and Dave Earl, CEO BC Trucking Association, to discuss various regulations.
- February 21st, attended the Employer’s Forum.
- March 1st, attended pre-consultation on OHSR Part 18 – Traffic Control at WorkSafeBC.
- March 1st, COCA’s submitted written response concerning proposed revisions to WorkSafeBC’s Prevention Manual.
- March 5th, provided a phone briefing to Wayne Feetback, Chair of the COCA Board.
- March 7th, COCA Board meeting held at VRCA.
- March 11th, met with Chris Back, Director WorkSafeBC to discuss COR and other matters.
- March 14th, met with Trevor Hughes, Deputy Minister of Labour to discuss the new governments priorities as they concern WorkSafeBC and to provide some of the critical issues that matter to BC’s Construction Sector.
- March 14th, met with Don Schouten,
Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices, to discuss regulations.
- March 18th, met with Dale Walker, vice-president, Employer, Industry and Worker Services to discuss COR and other matters.
- March 18th, met with Don Schouten,
Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices, to discuss regulations and in particular Traffic Control.
- March 21st, Trevor Hughes, Deputy Minister of Labour to discuss the new governments priorities as they concern WorkSafeBC and to provide some of the critical issues that matter to BC’s Construction Sector.
Q2 – April to June
- April 1st, attended a government relations lunch in Victoria at the Empress Hotel – 24 MLAs from both sides of the legislature attended.
- April 4th, sent in a written submission regarding comments on the amendments to part 16 – Mobile Equipment.
- April 4th, COCA sent in a written submission regarding the PDES Review
- April 4th, provided a special briefing on the new WorkSafeBC review to Neil Moody, CEO BC Homebuilders.
- April 8th, met with Chris Atchison, CEO of BCCA to discuss COCA and other governance implications
- April 8th, Attached the BCCA Construction Leadership Dinner in Victoria.
- April 9th, presented to the BCCA Board of Directors.
- April 11th, met with Al Johnson, Vice President of Prevention Services to discuss succession and other WorkSafeBC issues.
- April 11th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices, to discuss proposed regulations and policies changes.
- April 15th, met via phone conference with Lori Guiton, Director of Regulatory Practice, Charles Kelly, consultant regarding the proposed concrete pumper truck Regulation and process.
- April 18th, attended the Employer’s Forum by phone.
- April 18th, met with legal counsel regarding the Janet Patterson WorkSafeBC review.
- April 25th, Attended the CEO roundtable in Burnaby.
- April 26th, held a meeting with Lori Guiton, Director of Regulatory Practice, Al Johnson, Vice President of Prevention Services with representatives from the Restoration Contractors to discuss issues related to asbestos.
- April 26th, COCA submitted Amendments to ASTD Policy.
- April 28th, Attended the Day of Mourning event in Vancouver.
- May 6th, submitted Priorities for regulatory review in 2020/21
- May 14th, attended the Pre-consultation session on OHSR Part 18 Traffic Control.
- May 15th, COCA submitted Changes to the Assessment Manual
- May 15th, COCA submitted a response – OH&S Parts – 8, 20 and 21
- May 21st, Presented to the VRCA Board of Directors.
- May 22nd, attended a meeting with Chris Atchison, CEO of BCCA, Clyde Scollan, CEO of CLR and Cheryl Hogg to meet the Clyde’s successor Ken McCormack.
- May 27th, met with Andrew Weaver (MLA) in Victoria.
- June 3rd, meet with Mike Sully via phone conference regarding proposed training for contractors working with Asbestos.
- June 6th, COCA Board meeting help with Minister Hairy Bains and Deputy Minister Trevor Hughes.