The Council of Construction Associations (COCA) represents most of British Columbia’s construction associations (20 in all) and acts on behalf of the construction industry in WorkSafeBC matters. COCA works to present a united front and a systematic approach to WorkSafeBC issues. COCA initiates and responds to legislative, regulatory, policy and practice issues within the workers’ compensation system in BC. COCA also assists individual contractors with their WorkSafeBC concerns.
A summary of 2020 activities follows:
Q1 – January to March
- January 9th, attended a special Employers’ Forum strategy session regarding the Jeff Parr Review.
- January 9th, submitted a proposed minor change to OHSR Part 18, Traffic Control.
- January 9th, submitted an editorial to VICA’s Build Magazine.
- January 10th, attended a special Employers’ Forum strategy session regarding the Jeff Parr Review.
- January 14th, participated as part of the Employers’ delegation in negotiations with Jeff Parr regarding his Review.
- January 20th, participated in the development of a JOC article on why small companies (under 10 people) have higher workplace incidents.
- January 20th, COCA sponsored a tribute to Julie Cole, a construction safety consultant who passed away over the holidays.