2017 Q1 – Q4 Annual Report
The Council of Construction Associations (COCA) represents most of British Columbia’s construction associations (19 in all) and acts on behalf of the construction industry in WorkSafeBC matters. COCA works to present a united front and a systematic approach to WorkSafeBC issues. COCA initiates and responds to legislative, regulatory, policy and practice issues within the workers’ compensation system in BC. COCA also assists individual contractors with their WorkSafeBC concerns.
A summary of key 2017 activities /issues follows:
Q1 – January to March
- Prepared COCA budget and administratively set up the schedule for membership dues for 2017.
- Produced two JOC articles (in series) on the new WorkSafeBC regulations for Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committees.
- Attended media training session January 10th.
- Worked with Al Johnson (and Ken Boucher, Ledcor) to instruct all Prevention WorkSafeBC Field Officers to provide to Prime Contractors upon their request, copies of inspection reports written on Sub Contractors that are contractually working for those Primes.
- On January 17th, Attended Jack Davison’s retirement dinner hosted by the BC Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction.
- Reviewed changes made to the WorkSafeBC website. On balance provided mainly positive comments acknowledging that the changes were largely made because of COCA’s previous feedback.
- February 15th, provided feedback on WorkSafeBC’s 2017 Lead booklet – Safe Work Practices for Handling Lead.
- Worked on ICBA issue concerning COR audit. Asked to discontinue initiative due to internal issues within ICBA’s Board.
- Wrote a response to JOC providing the employer’s perspective regarding Invisible factors that impact post-injury return to work timing.
- Responded to a CBC article about the Bentall fatality in which Lee Loftus says BC construction safety standards have been compromised by a restructuring of the industry – COCA provided hard evidence to the contrary.
- Attended the ICBA’s CEO breakfast February 21st.
- Committed on JOHSC Evaluation Tool acknowledging the changes that we made because of COCA’s previous response.
- Attended the WSBC consultation session on February 24th on the Revised JOHSC Evaluation Tool. Generally supported the tool in this version.
- Worked on an industry issue clearance letter that is potentially precedent setting.
- Supported the development of the Formwork Association. The association is official incorporated and the official launch is scheduled for the 7th of March.
- Supported the WorkSafeBC transition by realigning industry to two key contacts. Don Schouten is the new Manager, Industry Prevention and Regulation. Garry Wilson, is the new ILS – Construction.
- March 1st, attending a session designed to optimise and align the WorkSafeBC’s Key interfaces as it concerns construction.
- QI – COCA Board meeting was held March 2nd at VRCA – WorkSafeBC guests included Diana Miles (CEO) and Trevor Alexander (COO) and Brian Erickson (CFO). They provided a State of the Union update of all things WorkSafeBC.
- Attended a CLAC networking event March 2nd.
- March 7th attended the launch of the newly formed Formwork Association. Provided a key note speech welcoming the association into the construction family. The Formwork Association has agreed to join COCA once they are up and running.
- Attended to a specific company issue in regards to Sawchuk Developments and a significant fine assessed by WorkSafeBC. The issue was assessed by the Review Division and the fine was significantly reduced, then on further appeal, the WCAT found in favor of Sawchuk and overturned the fine entirely.
- Followed up on the rental shop issue, in partnership with Ledcor, to ensure WorkSafeBC holds this sector accountable in regards to their regulatory compliance responsibility – providing appropriate instructional materials.
- March 22nd, meet with Howard Chang and Syrus Bacha (Assessments Department) to discuss the issue of ‘clearance letters’ and to resolve a company specific issue that is precedent setting for construction. WorkSafeBC agreed with our argument and agreed to change policy internally.
- Provided a JOC article concerning WorkSafeBC milestone birthday. Discussed many of the changes that have occurred over the past decades – title: Evolution of Safety in BC.
- Met with Fraser Cocks, Executive Director to discuss changes to the crane certification system in BC as a result of the provincial harmonization strategy. COCA agreed to monitor the situation and support the process where needed.
- Met with Manley Mclachlan, Chris Attchison and Lisa Stevens(BCCA) to discuss regional interests, strategic goals and WorkSafeBC.
Q2 – April to June
- April 4th, met with Phil Hockstein, ICBA Strategic Advisor, to discuss emerging industry issues, changes in construction, and ICBA succession.
- April 4th, met with Diana Miles (CEO) and Trevor Alexander (COO) to discuss construction issues.
- April 12th, met with Dave Earl, CLAR, to discuss COCA and the Employers’ Forum issues and develop join strategy.
- April 13th, meeting with Al Johnson, Vice President Prevention Services, to discuss upcoming regulation changes and other construction related concerns.
- April 18th, met with Chris Gardner, CEO of the ICBA. Discussed respective roles and how we can work together to serve the construction industry.
- April 19th, attended a CEPA event in Coquitlam designed to demonstrate industries commitment land to reclamation – hundreds of trees were planned.
- April 28th, attended the ‘Day of Mourning’ to demonstrate the employer’s commitment to labour and safety.
- May 2nd, attended ICBA’s Industry Outlook Event. The event provided a forecast for the BC Construction Sector economic conditions based on current economic conditions and external factors.
- May 5th, attended the BC Road Builders and Heavy Construction’s golf tournament to demonstrate support and collected the needs of the roadbuilder membership. Also, spend significant face time with a WorkSafeBC Board member and a key WorkSafeBC manager.
- May 7th and 8th, attended ICBA’s conference in Whistler. Connected with Chris Gardner, CEO and other senior staff. Spent time with some of the COCA membership that also have ICBA affiliation.
- BC Provincial Election is held May 9th and the results are inconclusive.
- May 10th, met with Kelly Scott, President of the BC Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction, and Mike McKinna, CEO of the BC Construction Safety Alliance to discuss health and safety issues and determine joint strategy.
- May 12th, met with Don Schouten, WorkSafeBC, to discuss upcoming regulations and our joint engagement strategy.
- May 29th met with the Assessments Department with a delegation from construction to explore issues and relationships.
- May 30th, met with Diana Miles, CEO, to discuss the provincial election and issues related to construction.
- June 1st, COCA held a Board meeting at VRCA.
- June 2nd, meet with Construction Association leads to discuss political climate, common issues and a potential new way of working together more collaboratively.
- June 18th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Prevention and Regulation to discuss upcoming regulations that concern construction.
- June 12th, attended a pre-consultation session with COCA members at WorkSafeBC on racking systems.
- June 14th met with Kelly Scott, President of the BC Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction, and Mike McKinna, CEO of the BC Construction Safety Alliance to discuss health and safety issues and determine joint strategy.
- June 23rd presented to the BCCA Board.
- June 23rd, met with representatives from the new Flagging Association. They indicated they would be joining COCA as soon as their incorporation process is completed.
- June 22nd attended the Thrown Speech at the BC Legislature. Meet MLAs from all parties.
- June 23rd met with Garry Wilson, ILS – Construction to discuss construction related concerns.
- Met June 30th, meeting with Al Johnson, Vice President Prevention Services and Dale Walker, vice-president, Employer, Industry & Worker Services to discuss upcoming regulation changes and other construction related concerns.
Q3 – July to September
- July 5th submitted a note the BC Safety Authority indicating our members want to know more about the proposed 2% fee increase.
- Throughout July and August worked with Charles Kelly, President at BC Ready-Mixed Concrete Association to support the new training standard process and to ensure fair treatment in regards to recent WorkSafeBC member audits.
- Worked with MJ Whitemarsh to support Women in Trades under the Sector LMP Program in concert with the Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training, building trades stakeholders.
- July 6th submitted COCA written response in regards to OHS Guideline for storage racks: Application of OHSR section 4.43.1.
- July 6th submitted a response to the WorkSafeBC COR discussion paper.
- July 12th met with Chis Back, Manager Industry and Labour Services, to discuss, Garry Wilson’s departure and subsequent service transition. The meeting was also used to follow up on the status of a number of outstanding items.
- Worked with Abigail Fulton, Executive Director of the Construction Foundation of BC to solicit support from WorkSafeBC particular as it concerns the school support program.
- Met with Fraser Cocks, Executive Director of the B.C. Association for Crane Safety to support his advocacy with WorkSafeBC concerning maintaining BC’s crane competency standard.
- Submitted a comprehensive discussion paper on construction’s position in regards to COR to WorkSafeBC’s Regulations Practices Department. Circulated the paper to key contacts within the Construction Sector to generate support and create a united front.
- July 13th met with Mike Ippen, CEO of BC One Call, to discuss respective positions and seek common ground within the construction industry.
- July 19th met with the WorkSafeBC Construction Managers (East and West) with Dave Earl (CLR) and Grant McMillan (COCA’s Strategic Council) to discuss matters of construction and accountability.
- August 8th sent letters of introduction to the Honourable John Horgan, Premier, Honourable Harry Bains, Minister of Labour, and the Honourable Carole James, Minister of Finance and Deputy Premier.
- August 9th met with Kelly Scott, President of the BC Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction, and Mike McKenna, CEO of the BC Construction Safety Alliance to discuss health and safety issues and determine joint strategy.
- August 14th met with Trevor Hughes, Deputy Minister of Labour to discuss the new governments priorities as they concern WorkSafeBC and to provide some of the critical issues that matter to BC’s Construction Sector.
- August 18th met with Chris Gardener, CEO of ICBA, to discuss matters of mutual interest and to align strategy.
- August 23rd, COCA submitted a Discussion Paper on Removing the Capitalized Value of Permanent Disability Awards from the Experience Rating Calculation.
- August 24rd, COCA submitted a Discussion Paper on comment on the WS OEL Discussion Paper
- August 24th, COCA attended an ICBA event to mix and mingle with construction members and partners.
- August 30th, COCA attended a pre-consultation OHSR Part 20 Concrete Formwork and Falsework.
- August 31st, met with Chris Atchison, President and CEO BCCA, and Mike McKenna, President and CEO BC Construction Safety Alliance to discuss issues of construction and determine joint strategy.
Q4 – September to December
- September 5th, COCA met with the BC Federation of Labour to discuss issues of mutual interest and forge a working relationship.
- COCA Board meeting was held September 7th.
- September 8th, COCA participated in a meeting at WorkSafeBC with a range of stakeholders to discuss work place status.
- September 13th, COCA met with Kelly Scott, President of the BC Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction, and Mike McKenna, CEO of the BC Construction Safety Alliance to discuss health and safety issues and determine joint strategy.
- September 14th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices to discuss upcoming regulations that concern construction.
- September 18th, met with Mid Valley Rebar to discuss an assessment issue.
- September 26th, met with Jack Davidson, GR consultant Aggregate Producers, Chris Gardener, CEO of ICBA, and Mike McKenna, CEO of the BC Construction Safety Alliance to discuss health and safety issues and determine joint strategy.
- September 27th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices, and Dave Earl (CLR) to discuss construction’s interests in regards to WorkSafeBC mobile equipment regulations.
- October 6th, COCA attended the Part 16, Mobile Equipment regulatory pre-consultation session.
- October 10th, COCA meet with Chris Gardener, CEO of ICBA and Tim McEwan, Senior Vice-president, Policy & Stakeholder Engagement to discuss partnership and membership.
- October 11th, attended the Journal of Commerce (JOC) Candata Economic Conference.
- October 12th, met with Gerry Paquette, Manager, Classification & Rate Modification Programs, to discuss construction’s rate 2017/18.
- October 16th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices, and Ron Karris, Desmir Begovic and Sean Dingley from the Formwork Association, to discuss the Formwork Regulation.
- October the 18th, held a conference call with Dave Earl (CLR), Doug Ally, Employer’s Forum and Trevor Hughes, Deputy Minister of Labour to discuss acceptable employer Board candidates for WorkSafeBC.
- October 23rd, held a conference call with Dave Earl (CLR), Doug Ally, Employer’s Forum and Trevor Hughes, Deputy Minister of Labour, to present acceptable employer Board candidates for WorkSafeBC (drawn from the construction sector and other industries).
- October 25th, attended the VRCA Awards dinner.
- October 30th, COCA met with Lori Guiton, Senior Policy Analyst WorkSafeBC, to discuss the upcoming regulatory calendar.
- November 2nd, COCA met with Lee Loftus, BC Building Trades to discuss respective agendas and interests.
- November 3rd, presented on the topic of workplace incident inspection at the BC Concrete Association Conference in Victoria.
- November 8th and 9th, met with Midvalley Rebar to help support their CU assessment interpretation and their reengagement with WorkSafeBC staff.
- November 9th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices to discuss regulatory items related to construction.
- November 18th, COCA attended the ASTTBC awards dinner.
- November 29th, COCA met with Chris Back, Manager Industry and Labour Services, to discuss the COR program and the accompanying audit recommendations.
- November 29th, COCA response to Technical Safety BC regarding consultation on proposed changes to elevating devices code requirements
- November 29th, COCA provided feedback on the 2018 — 2020 Policy Workplans.
- November 29th, met with Mike Roberts, CEO, BC Municipal Safety Association.
- December 7th, COCA Board meeting was held.
- December 8th, contacted the Trevor Hughes, Deputy Minister of Labour, regarding concerns with WorkSafeBC’s COR program.
- December 11th, met with Dale Walker, Vice-president, Employer, Industry & Worker Services to discuss upcoming regulation changes and other construction related concerns.
- December 13th, initiated an industry letter writing campaign concerning draft COR standard.
- December 14th, attended VRCA’s (member) Christmas lunch event.
- December 14th, attended Jack Davidson’s Insight Leadership Dinner.
* COCA continues to support individual companies with specific WorkSafeBC matters/ issues.