The Council of Construction Associations (COCA) represents most of British Columbia’s construction associations (20 in all) and acts on behalf of the construction industry in WorkSafeBC matters. COCA works to present a united front and a systematic approach to WorkSafeBC issues. COCA initiates and responds to legislative, regulatory, policy and practice issues within the workers’ compensation system in BC. COCA also assists individual contractors with their WorkSafeBC concerns.
A summary of key 2018 activities /issues follows:
Q1 – January to March
- Prepared COCA budget and administratively set up the schedule for membership dues for 2018.
- January 1st, ICBA announced they would be joining COCA as a member.
- January 11th met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison Regulatory Practices, to discuss upcoming regulations and our joint engagement strategy.
- January 24th held a ‘Special Membership Meeting’ regarding WorkSafeBC’s COR program.
- January 24th met with BCCA to discuss COR’s governance model and intrinsic relationship.
January 25th, met with Brooks Patterson, WorkSafeBC Board Member, regarding WorkSafeBC’s COR program and other matters.
- January 29th, met with Chris Gardner, CEO of the ICBA. Discussed respective roles, WorkSafeBC’s COR program, and how we can work together to serve the construction industry.
- January 29th, met with Clyde Scollan, President CLR to discuss WorkSafeBC’s COR program.
- Met with Dale Walker, Vice-president, Employer, Industry & Worker Services to discuss COR concerns.
- February 2nd, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison Regulatory Practices, Lee Loftus, BC Building Trades to discuss a process for bulletin development.
- February 5th, met with Trevor Hughes, Deputy Minister of Labour to discuss the new governments priorities as they concern WorkSafeBC and to provide some of the critical issues that matter to BC’s Construction Sector.
- February 6th, met with Trevor Alexander, Senior VP at WorkSafeBC to discuss WorkSafeBC’s COR program. The meeting was subsequently attended by Dale Walker, vice-president, Employer, Industry & Worker Services and Chis Back, Manager Industry and Labour Services.
- February 19th, an organized delegation from all of the organizations representing the BC Construction Sector met behind closed doors with Diana Miles (WSBC CEO) and Trevor Alexander (WSBC Senior Vice-president) and Dale walker (WSBC Vice-president) to discuss COR and Constructions interests.
- February 8th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison Regulatory Practices, to discuss upcoming regulations and our joint engagement strategy.
- February 14th, COCA attended ICBA’s Annual CEO’s breakfast.
- February 15th, attended a pre-consultation session at WorkSafeBC office concerning Part 3 of the shoring regulations.
- February 26th, met with Chris Gardner, CEO, and Tim McEwan, Senior Vice President of the ICBA.
- February 28th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison Regulatory Practices, to discuss upcoming regulation changes.
- March 2nd, provided WorkSafeBC with written feedback on WSBC proposed changes to First Aid Requirements (Table).
- March 13th, met with the Premier and Minister of Labour at the BC Legislature. Also in attendance, Clyde Scollan, President CLR and Chris Atchison, President of BCCA and their respective Chairs.
- March 14th COCA submitted a paper on proposed changes to the Permanent Disability Evaluation Schedule.
- March the 15th, held a conference call with the National Energy Board regarding requested consultation feedback.
- March 15th, COCA consulted with Paul Petrie (consultant) regarding his review of WorkSafeBC’s Claims Program.
- March 26th, COCA provided comment to the JOC regarding WorkSafeBC’s COR program.
Q2 – April to June
- April 6th, met with Concrete BC to discuss strategic objectives.
- April 9th, attended Jeff Lyth’s Safety Book Club (Safety Differently).
- April 11th, COCA joined the BC Business Council’s Support of the TransMountian Pipeline.
- April 12th, met with Phil Hochstein, ICBA
- April 12th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices, to discuss upcoming regulations.
- April 16th, attend the BCCA Event – Construction Awareness Month. Met with the Premier briefly.
- April 18th, met with Brooks Paterson, WS Board Member, to discuss issue pertaining to construction.
- April 18th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices, to discuss forming regulations.
- April 20th, attended Part 16 – Mobile Equipment Pre-consult at WorkSafeBC’s office.
- April 24th, met with over 20 MLAs from both parties and a number of Deputy Ministers to promote April as Safe Dig Month and Federal Bill S229.
- April 26th, attended the Employer’s Forum.
- April 26th, attended the Jacob Brother’s new office grand opening in Surrey.
- April 27th, attended the BC Construction Foundation’s Learn Safety Meeting.
- April 27th, met with Dave Earle, President, BC Trucking Association to talk political strategy.
- April 28th, attended the Day of Mourning ceremony.
- April 30th, met with Ralph McGinn, Chair of WorkSafeBC Board to discuss construction’s interests, fair process and other issues of mutual concern.
- May 1st, discussed concrete regulation with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison Regulatory Practices
- May 2nd, attended the Employer’s Form.
- May 2nd, met with Mike Mckenna, BCCSA to COR and other matters of mutual concern.
- May 2nd, sent in comments clarifying Industry’s position on the draft Concrete regulation.
- May 4th, attended the Roadbuilder’s Golf Tournament.
- April 8th, Risky Business Safety Seminar hosted by Jeff Lyth. Sponsored WorkSafeBC VPs
- May 9th, met with the BC Structural Movers Association to stress the importance of membership.
- May 9th, attended BC One Call Board meeting.
- May 10th, met with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices, to discuss regulations.
- May 11th, met with John Yap, MLA to discuss issues related to the opposition party.
- COCA submitted written comments on the WSBC proposed changes to Part 8 and Parts 21 and 24 of the OHS Regulation
- May 11th, met with Trevor Hughes to discuss various government reviews and other matters of mutual concern.
- May 16th, attended the ICBA Industry Outlook event.
- May 17th, with Don Schouten, Manager, Industry Liaison
Regulatory Practices, to discuss regulations.
- May 23rd, met with Andrew Wilkinson, leader of the Liberal Opposition, and with John Yap, MLA to discuss issues related to WorkSafeBC.
- May 23rd, provided a Board presentation for the BC Home Builders.
- May, 23rd, meet with the BCCSA to discuss the COR program and other industry issues.
- May 24th, attended the Employers’ Forum.
- May 28th, signed on to the Employers’ Forum response to Petrie Report, ‘Restoring the Balance: A Worker-Centred Approach to Workers’ Compensation Policy’.
- May 29th, attended WorkSafeBC pre-consultation on ‘Workplace Status’.
- May 31st, submitted COCA response WorkSafeBC regarding: Bill 9 – Mental Disorder Presumption.
- June 4th, summitted a response to WorkSafeBC regarding Petrie Report, ‘Restoring the Balance: A Worker-Centred Approach to Workers’ Compensation Policy’.
- June 5th, conversation with Trevor Hughes, Deputy Minister, regarding the Petrie Report and the Employer’s response.
- June 6th, met with Lori Guiton, Director Policy, Regulation and Research Division regarding various regulatory reviews and the pending department review.
- June 7th, COCA Board Meeting
Q3 – July to September
Q4 – September to December
* COCA continues to support individual companies with specific WorkSafeBC matters/ issues.